“Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”–Jude 1:7
“On the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from Heaven and destroyed them all.”–Luke 17:29
In this text we see three elements referred to:
- Going after “strange flesh”:–a reference to homosexual practice, which is strange, and is not a natural sexual practice.
- These were the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, referred to in Genesis 18 and 19.
- God’s response to the homosexual movement in those cities, was to cause “fire and brimstone” to rain down from Heaven, and destroy all who lived there.
Homosexuality, in thought, word, and action is referred to in the law of God as an “abomination” to Him. That it is a hated, despised thing, so repulsive to a holy God, that the only thing He can think to do, after grace has been all used up, is to KILL the homosexuals by natural disasters, or other means. Under the Old Covenant, Moses was commanded by God to have homosexuals executed for their crime, for their abomination (Lev. 20:13). Under the Christian dispensation, the New Testament era—God does not sanction the killing of homosexuals by other men, but instead “commands all men everywhere to repent” (Acts 17:30). The church of Corinth had been established by Paul’s preaching of the Gospel, and some of his converts were ex-gays (1 Cor. 6:11). “Such some of you were,” he says, making reference to their past gay lifestyles, but now “you are washed, you are clean.” The Gospel of Jesus Christ is anything but “hate speech”; if anything it is “holy speech” and is “love speech.” “God is not willing that any should perish” (2 Pet. 3:9), in the flames of Hell forever, “but that all should” come to repent and have eternal life. God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved” (John 3:17).
But gays are “condemned already” if they do not believe in “God’s one and only Son,” Jesus Christ (John 3:18). And this is the case with every single gay person. There are many among them who claim to believe in Jesus, and even claim to be Christians. But they are very deceived; they have believed in “another gospel” and “another Jesus” (2 Cor. 11:4). The Apostle Paul warns: “Do not be deceived…homosexuals”, among others who persist in particular sins, “will not inherit the kingdom of God”, or be able to go to Heaven after they die (1 Cor. 6:9-10); but if they persist in their sin, they will “die in their sins” (John 8:24), receive the judgment of God, and be “thrown into Hell” according to the law of God (Rev. 20:14). Again, Paul said, “Do not be deceived…homosexuals…will not inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Cor. 6:9-10). “Repent, and believe in the Gospel!” (Mark 1:15). In the everlasting and unquenchable flames of Hell, the impenitent gays who died, and who now dwell with the ancient Sodomites, will experience FOREVER what the Sodomites only experienced for a bit when “fire and brimstone fell from Heaven” upon them (Luke 17:29). Because they have been thrown into “the lake of fire and brimstone” (Rev. 21:8), and “the smoke of their torment will ascend forever and ever,” and “they will have NO REST day or night” from their torments (Rev. 14:11). The wrath of God abides on them forever, because their unrepentant hearts remain. As their homosexual lust burns within them, so also will the wrath of God in those holy flames of revenge. It is in Hell that God will take REVENGE on His enemies, including His gay enemies, who scoffed at the holy Gospel, which was designed by Him to save their souls by the “foolishness of preaching” (1 Cor. 1:21). Stark memories will haunt them in Hell of the times they heard street preachers at gay pride parades, or at the gay nightclubs, or a preacher on TV, or read some Christian literature critiquing homosexuality:–they will remember this and more, for they are the reasons why they are in Hell. The evangelists, missionaries, and Christians who tried as hard as they could to get these people to repent from homosexuality, and all the times they refuted and heckled back at them, pleading that they were “born that way” and that “God made me gay”—all those times will be remembered in Hell, and the just condemnation of their sin will lay over their heads for all ETERNITY!
“Sin is the transgression of the law” (1 John 3:4). The law of God plainly condemns homosexuality in no uncertain terms: “You shall not lay with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination” (Lev. 18:22). Those who do such things bring the wrath of God upon themselves. It is sexual perversion, for sure; but how is it condemned? In the Ten Commandments, from which virtually all other laws in Scripture can be related, it says, “You shall not commit adultery” (Exod. 20:14). It commands against illicit, illegal, unlawful sexual relations that people commit as adults with their adult bodies. With their “adult books”, “adult movies”, and “adult toys”, and “adult porn stores” they prove themselves to be ADULTERERS! They commit ADULTERY! It is not simply having an affair with someone not your spouse. ADULTERY is any unlawful sex. Period. Any sexual thought, feeling, look, or sexual action outside of the marriage bed of HOLY MATRIMONY. For this cause a “MAN shall leave his father and mother and cleave to his WIFE; and the TWO shall become ONE FLESH” (Gen. 2:24). But it is “STRANGE FLESH” to think of sex in any other way (Jude 1:7). It is strange flesh for a man to have sex with a man, or a woman with a woman. That is STRANGE SEX! And it goes against the invention of God. The male sexual organs are created by God to be used with the female sexual organs, for reproduction and pleasure, within HOLY MATRIMONY, initiated by a holy wedding ceremony, conducted by a godly minister. “Gay marriage” is a complete distortion, an oxymoron, a contradiction of terms, and a wicked, unclean mockery of godly, holy marriage, between two committed Christian heterosexuals: a man and woman, just as Adam and Eve were, and just as God intended mankind to appear on the Earth. But homosexuality is the devil’s work; a spirit of perverted sexual immorality; it totally confounds the image of God in mankind. It confuses the genders; and creates all manner of confused thinking, and behaviors:–so a man doesn’t know if he is a woman or a man; and a woman doesn’t know if she is a man or a woman. This may be one of homosexuality’s greatest abominations: that IT COMPLETELY CONFUSES AND DISTORTS GOD’S CREATION OF MAN, and makes a total MOCKERY OF WHAT IS MALE AND FEMALE, and REBELS AGAINST THE GENDER DISTINCTIONS GOD LAID DOWN IN CREATION. It is a SHAME! A degradation of the dignity of humanity. A beastlike, fallen, deterioration of the mind of man, into that of a depraved “reprobate mind” (Rom. 1:28), which is bent on satisfying its perverse sexual lusts, and rebelling against the law of God, the Bible.
“Do not be deceived” (1 Cor. 6:9) into thinking that God rained “fire and brimstone from Heaven” (Luke 17:29) on Sodom and Gomorrah for any other reason than that of massive amounts of unrepentant homosexuality. This is the reason why Scripture generally assigns condemnation to those cities. Even to this day, because of the Bible references, “sodomites” and “sodomy” refer to gays and homosexual practices. Those gays who try to compromise their sinful, anti-Scriptural, selfish, strange sexual lust with the Christian faith do several things to butcher the Scriptures:
(1) They ignore all Old Testament condemnations of homosexuality, by declaring that the Old Testament law is obsolete. That goes against The Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion, which is an impeccably orthodox statement of Christian faith. It says of the Old Testament, “No Christian man whatsoever is free from the obedience of the Commandments which are called Moral.” And when this is pressed on a “gay Christian”, he replies, then “The commandments against homosexuality are not moral commandments, but ceremonial ones.” That is totally absurd! Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, clearly condemn homosexuality as well, and are therefore evidence that the Apostle Paul and the early church leaders saw this as a moral law that continued to bind New Testament Christians. No early church leader was more emphatic than Paul about keeping Christians away from the Jewish ceremonial law, as is evident in the circumcision controversy, mentioned in Galatians and Acts 15. Yet Paul urges the moral law on all Christians who claim to be “justified by faith” (Rom. 5:1; 6:1-2); he says this is so that “the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the FLESH but according to the SPIRIT” (Rom. 8:4). To walk after the same sex, after a homosexual, is strange flesh; it is to walk after the flesh, and not after the Spirit of God.
(2) They dismiss any New Testament translations of “homosexual” or “homosexuality” as a translation error; and try to maintain that Romans 1 and 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 are not condemning homosexuality, but something else; and that it is the bias of the Bible translators, not the original Biblical Greek. That might be easier to argue for 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, because some say a “catamite” was a male prostitute, not a homosexual. Well enough. But the narrative in Romans 1 simply cannot be excused, no matter what Bible translation you are reading. It is a narrative that undeniably condemns homosexual behavior. And the “strange flesh” reference to Sodom and Gomorrah in Jude 1:7 is obviously a hint at the homosexuals in Genesis 19.
(3) So-called “gay Christians” claim that God’s judgment on Sodom and Gomorrah, was not on their homosexuality, but instead because they were a rough, uncivilized, and inhospitable people. They quote Ezekiel 16:49: “Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.” True, the homosexual abusers of the two angels added insult to injury, but before they ever showed inhospitality to them, they were considered “sinners before the Lord exceedingly” (Gen. 13:13). This was because of their homosexuality, as Jude 1:7 testifies in my opening text: THEIR “GOING AFTER STRANGE FLESH” was the reason why God’s judgment of “FIRE AND BRIMSTONE FROM HEAVEN” came upon them so severely (Luke 17:29). Jude, in fact, makes no reference to the inhospitality of the Sodomites, though that was another sin they were certainly guilty of…and to the very angels that God sent to destroy the two cities…angels of great power. When Abraham and his people rescued Lot and the Sodomites during battle, and the king of Sodom wanted to give a token of money to him, God told him to say, “I will accept nothing belonging to you, not even a thread or the strap of a sandal, so that you will never be able to say, ‘I made Abram rich’” (Gen. 14:23). No strings attached to the homosexual king of that homosexual city. No strings attached to a people who so resist the power of the Holy Spirit, the moral law, and the angels of God.
(4) “God made me gay” is a common objection of so-called “gay Christians.” They listen to the voice of secular, agnostic psychologists, who do not view Scripture as their authority; and then, through the un-Biblical lens of liberal Christian theology, try to reinterpret the faith in terms of sentimental “love”. But the Biblical love of God is holy, righteous, keeps the commandments, and “does not rejoice in evil, but rejoices in good” (1 Cor. 13:6). The Bible declares, God declares, that HOMOSEXUALITY IS EVIL; therefore, it is not the love of God to embrace it. God’s love is pure and holy; homosexuality is impure, unclean, and a perverted form of fornication. Romans 1 declares the divine revelation on the cause of homosexual lust. It is NOT caused by God’s creation. It is caused by man’s choice. Especially, by man’s choice to embrace atheism, worship of creation, plants, animals, created things, and the human body especially. This obsession with the material world, and with the human body, leads to inordinate sexual passions, even of the same sex. Homosexuality is a man-made sin caused by IGNORING GOD and FOCUSING ON THE HUMAN BODY, particularly other person’s bodies of the SAME SEX. Anyone, therefore, has the potential to make themselves feel “gay” lusts, if they dwell upon the nakedness of another person of the same sex. It is an inordinate sexual lust created by lusting on purpose, a person of the wrong gender. God does not “make” people gay. People make themselves gay—it says so in Romans 1. Gay pornography is probably largely to blame for this. When men begin to contemplate naked male bodies, they will begin to feel homosexual lust; the same with lesbians. It is the fall and perversion of human nature. But the choice to sin is what God finds inexcusable and worthy of judgment. This is why God is so angry at homosexuality, because He sees gays as fully responsible for their denial of His existence (the real Biblical God), His authority, and the gender He created them to be. Homosexuality is spiritual and sexual rebellion against God the Creator. Homosexuals or “gays” are NOT a special breed or race of people, determined by their genes to commit these acts. God does NOT create gay people. Straight people create gay people when they start contemplating the nakedness of people of the same sex. That’s what Scripture says; believe it!
AIDS is the “fire and brimstone” for today’s Sodom and Gomorrahs, San Franciscos, gay clubs, etc: Scripture says, “They receive in their bodies the due penalty for their perversion” (Rom. 1:27). But there is also a “fire that burns to the lowest Hell” (Deut. 32:22). God hates the sin of homosexuality so much, that He expresses a temporary punishment on it with AIDS, and an eternal punishment on it with “fire and brimstone” in Hell (Rev. 14:10), which is, as Jude says, foreshadowed to us by the first appearance of “fire and brimstone from Heaven”, that fell on Sodom and Gomorrah long ago.
Gays Must Repent or Go to Hell: It’s Their Choice
“The wages of sin is death” (Rom. 6:23). The sins of mankind, if they could be compared to work, will receive their proper wages: DEATH. For the work of homosexuality in Sodom and Gomorrah, a “work of the flesh” (Gal. 5:19), “strange flesh” (Jude 1:7), the wages God paid them with was “fire and brimstone from Heaven” which destroyed them all (Luke 17:29). For this reason, God has “appointed unto man once to die, and after this, the JUDGMENT” (Heb. 9:27). There is an immediate judgment of men’s lives and a final judgment of all men at the end of the world. The immediate judgment of God on men’s lives occurs directly after death: when the souls of men are translated to Heaven or Hell. So the wicked gays of Sodom and Gomorrah, after seeing the meteorites fall from the sky upon them, and being hit in the heads by brimstones from Heaven, and being burnt and killed, came out of their bodies, and were “thrown into Hell” where there is “unquenchable fire” (Luke 3:17; 12:5). The wages of homosexuality is Hellfire. But this is the love of God: “in that, while gays are yet sinners, Christ died for them” (Rom. 5:8) in a spirit of preaching repentance: “go, and think straightly, and commit homosexual acts no more” (John 8:11). If a gay man repents of his sinful lifestyle, he may become a straight-laced Christian man, and gain Heaven! Due to the grace of God in the cross of Christ, and the blood He shed for them.
I pray my uncle and his “husband” repent of their homosexuality and recieve forgiveness for their sins. I love them both so much and it hurts my heart to think that today could be the last chance they have to get right with God. They both believe in Christ (maybe even claim to be Christian), but I don’t think they read the Bible. I hadn’t always known that homosexuality was a sin because I didn’t read the Bible myself when I was a new/ luke-warm Christian.
Ive since learned that it is important to distinguish between homosexual behavior and homosexual inclinations or attractions. The difference is between active sin and the passive condition of being tempted. While homosexual behavior is sinful, attraction or temptation, isn’t.
The truth is we all occasionally have desires or appetites that are ungodly, but we also have the choice of how to respond to them. 1 Corinthians 10:13 reveals a powerful truth that would do each of us good to memorize: “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will also make a way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” This promise includes LGBT temptation! So for those who say it’s impossible for someone who battles same-sex attraction to live in victory over this appetite, or a lifestyle of homosexuality, they are lying or deceived! There are many former homosexual testimonials online, who now testify to freedom in and through Christ! There is even former homosexuals that were in scripture (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
Though obedience to God can be difficult, it should never be burdensome. A true believer’s heart is to love God and please Him, not only with their mouth, but with their lifestyle and actions. If we love Christ, we will obey Him (John 14:15). And as we live for and in God, our love grows more perfect. We will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can stand before Him with confidence because we live like Jesus here in this world (1 John 4:17).